A Typical Day (Menu) in the Life of Tina

Hello all you Wellness Warriors!

I have been asked quite frequently lately what a "regular days menu" looks like for me. I am honored at your requests and thank you so much for the lovely comments/emails I have been receiving lately. You are all very special for sharing/reaching out and I am very glad to share what I know works for me with you. I am thrilled to say that I am in excellent health and have been cancer free for over 2 years. See my earlier post here about some of the other changes I have incorporated into my new lifestyle (some of these have been tweaked a bit). I have never felt better in my life. Wellness is my daily goal in all that I do. It can be for you too - whether you are a cancer cowgirl/boy or not! Shouldn't all of us have the wellness goal to be healthy and happy for as long as possible?! I say YES!

Please remember that this is a typical day for me right now (warm weather). Also note that most, if not all, of what I eat is organic. See bottom of this post for more information about pesticides and the link to cancer and other health issues.

Morning:
Upon rising:
32 oz water with juice of 1 lemon / 1 tsp of MSM powder
4-6 oz wheatgrass (Sweet Wheat)
I take my supplements with my water - DIM, Calcium/Magnesium, B-Complex

Green smoothie in the a.m. - this concoction varies, but overall here is what it looks like lately:

  • 1 banana
  • 1 citrus (usually orange that I just cut skin off of and leave as much pith as possible)
  • 1 fresh or frozen dark berry (blueberry, strawberry, cherry, blackberry, raspberry) or a combination - usually 1/2 - 1 cup or so...I like frozen simply because it makes my drink cold
  • 1 green leafy item (large handful of spinach or 2-3 kale leaves generally)
  • 1- 1.5 Tbs flax oil
  • 1 tsp spirulina
  • 1.5 teas to 1 Tbsp coconut butter
  • Small handful of cacao nibs
  • Sometimes 1/2 cucumber
  • Sometimes 1-2 Tbsp brown rice protein powder (only rice product I intake)
If it tastes too green, add more water, 1/4 of lemon (skin included), or 1/2 cucumber. Again, this smoothie will vary with what I have on-hand, but above is pretty typical...today I did all those ingredients except the rice protein, and I also added some fresh strawberries and blueberries along with a little frozen mango. Keep trying new things! My smoothies are rarely identical day-to-day.

Workout:
Monday through Thursday I workout before lunch. This is usually cardio warm-up followed by strength training. I try to switch that up and do only yoga on Wednesday, but that is not static. I try to walk or do other activities Friday - Sunday.

Lunch:

  • Avocado
  • Tomato
  • Red or Yellow Pepper
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Herby seasoning (can use Spike, etc)
  • Olive Oil /Balsamic or Braggs Vinaigrette
  • I either have a large salad or cut the veggies up and roll them in romaine leaves as a "wrap".

Snacks (I usually have 2-4 snacks daily, just depends on rest of day):

  • Almonds/Goji Berries
  • Apple
  • Carrots
  • Red Pepper
  • I try to have at least one cup of organic non-caff green tea each day - usually in the morning at work.
  • Sometimes I get on a real "salt snack" kick and when I do nothing feel more satisfying to me that a bowl of organic popcorn made with organic olive oil or coconut oil and Herby seasoning. It is my "vice" for "feel good" food. Now you know!!

Dinner:
I generally have a salad, blended soup, or zucchini "pasta" with spaghetti sauce.

Why Organic?
Eliminating foods that are non-organic is a good decision all the way around....here is a great article about "Why Organic?".

In addition to the wonderful reasons listed in that post, the one on top of the list for me personally is to reduce / eliminate the pesticide and chemicals that infiltrate my body. Most pesticides have the chemical structure of estrogen and, when ingested, provoke a weak estrogenic effect on our systems - add this to other provokers of estrogen in our body (plastics, etc), and it is a formula for disaster for anyone, but especially for men and women with estrogen positive cancers (like me) such as (most) breast and prostate cancers. Here is an interesting article about the connection of pesticides and cancer. There are a ton more...again, do your research and educate yourself!

No comments: